Front Royal has held the status of Tree City, USA for over 20 years! Tree City USA is a program of the Arbor Day Foundation. The status is met by meeting four core standards of sound urban forestry management: maintaining a tree board or department, having a community tree ordinance, spending at least $2 per capita on urban forestry and celebrating Arbor Day. It’s the framework for a healthy, sustainable urban forestry program.
The benefits include:
- Reduce costs for energy, stormwater management, and erosion control.
- Cut energy consumption by up to 25%.
- Properly placed trees can increase property values from 7–20%. Buildings in wooded areas rent more quickly, and tenants stay longer.
- Educate people living in your city about the value of trees and the importance of sustainable tree management
- Improve community pride.
- Gain publicity with recognition materials.
- Tree City USA status can also create a strong working relationship with
our state forestry agency and other groups.
Here’s a short TED video on the importance of trees in cities:
Our local “Tree Board” is called Urban Forestry Advisory Commission or UFAC. The Commission is responsible for the development, implementation and maintenance of an Urban Forestry Management Program. They are also educate the general public about proper tree care practices and support the efforts of other groups interested in urban forestry in Front Royal.